Monday, April 28, 2008

Swimming with the ducks

Everyone who has been swimming in the pond in front of Stanford Hospital raise your hands!!! ......What? Only Tommy and me?


Yes that's right. There is a huge cement pond in front of Stanford Hospital with several large fountains and planters throughout - it's quite pretty. Plus there are several ducks, and they just had baby ducks a few days ago. Tommy and I go there all the time and walk around the pond and look at the plants and the ducks. It's only a couple blocks from where we live and we love to stop there after walking Dave back to work in the evening.

Above: Stanford Hospital Front Entrance

Well, on Friday afternoon, Tommy and I went to see the baby ducks. There is a cement step around the pond, and Tommy usually climbs up on it then walks around the pond. He's done this hundreds of times and I thought he was quite reliable around water. Well, on Friday afternoon he just stepped off the edge like he was trying to walk on the water and fell completely in the pond. I thought the pond was only knee deep so in my haste to prevent drowning my instinct was to step over the edge into the pond so I could quickly grab him. However, the pond is deeper than it looks.... about waist deep. As you can imagine, miscalculating the depth, I quickly fell all the way into the pond, too, since my other foot was still on the step. I was surprised but was still able to quickly retrieve the boy, who was coughing and not pleased at all to have fallen in the cold pond water. I'm sure it all looked ridiculous to onlookers. I imagine they were marveling over my grace and agility.

Afterwards, of course, we were both completely soaking wet and had the pleasure of enduring many odd looks as we sloshed our way back home.

The only real casualty was my cell phone in my pocket which began to short out and vibrate occasionally. Luckily, after it dried out completely, it started working again.



Above: Tommy the next day, contemplating another jump into the pond

6 comments:

Rachel said...

Sorry, but that was hilarious. I'm glad to know there are other people on the planet who have moments like these. I am certain, however, that you exhibited nothing but grace and agility as you toppled in and rescued your boy. Love it.

Bella said...

I was eating cereal while I was reading this....bad idea! I totally started choking because I was laughing so hard! I would have paid good money to see that! Oh wait! Are there video cameras in the vicinity??? Perhaps you were caught on tape! Oh my word...I am still laughing. I love it! It just hasn't been a good day until you fall in a pond. :)

ghd3 said...

That is (with Tommy safely recovered and secure) hilarious. Great story! I'm sure you got a good chuckle out of it once you dried off....

LZ said...

Ah Ha.............somewhere JAWS is on TV right now.

I found you guys. Its me Lauren Z. Working nights as a radiology resident allows many an hour of endless web surfing. Looks like your family unit has landed in Palo Alto? Si or No?

I am still in SLC. I had my first baby last november. What fun!

Can't wait to hear more from you guys.

LZ

stephgardner said...

I just saw JAWS!! I always think of you!! Do you have a blog? What is your email? I am so excited to hear from you!

LZ said...

steph,

my blog is
thedisappearingbellybutton.blogspot.com

email: lvzj@mac.com

clue me in on the last few years of your life.