Saturday, August 04, 2007

Monterey Bay



We went to Monterey Bay last weekend to celebrate our tenth wedding anniversary, which comes up in a couple weeks. It's amazing to me that ten years could have passed already - basically we've been together a third of our lives!


So we went to Monterey Bay which was great fun, though a little chilly - it was kind of cloudy and temperatures were around 60 degrees - at the end of July! I would never have thought it would be cold in the summer on the shore in California!

We went to the Monterey Aquarium which was great, though the species we saw the most of was the air-breathing, bipedal type (it was extremely crowded!) We hope to return in the winter when hopefully we will actually be able to approach the fish tanks! Tommy's favorite thing at the aquarium was all the little snails on the glass inside the tanks - they were right at his level and he kept pointing them out.


He now says "Hi" or "Hiya" to everything and everyone that passes by. He has also started some basic waving which involves opening and closing his fist. I have seen kids do this- I wonder why that is such a common baby hand waving motion - it is adorable, though.

Other than that, Dave is working a lot - right now he's on a rotation where he works every day including parts of the weekend and has to stay at work until around 9:30-10:00 at night. I have worked a couple shifts in the ER and have already taken care some of the complications from the various unusual surgeries done at Stanford. Last night I was in the pediatric ER and took care of a kid with a heart transplant where they left her original heart in also -so she had two hearts, and another with a complete heart revision from an extremely rare congenital heart defect - both in one shift! These are things I didn't see much in Albuquerque, but are very commonplace here. It always makes me grateful for Tommy's health.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Sorry, guys, I lost your blog address a while ago and just found it again - so I have not been a good reader but will now be. So my brother Peter and his wife are in Monterey - let me know if you want to look them up!