Thursday, December 13, 2007

Ant invasion

We awoke a few days ago to a massive ant invasion in our apartment! There was a 3 inch wide band of ants going from the bathroom, across the carpet, into the kitchen, up the cupboards and across the counter to the countertops and stove. It was difficult keeping Tommy out of the trail while I tried to clean it up! I sprayed with scrubbing bubbles as I had no bug spray -(it works just as well, by the way, killing on contact!) then there was lots of cleaning up to do. However, once the ant trail seemed to be gone, they kept showing up in the kitchen by the hundreds and I couldn't figure out where they were coming from.... until I opened the dishwasher and saw millions covering the surface of the dishwasher, the dishes and cups! Yuck! AND the dishwasher was locked! I ran the dishwasher often the next couple of days and it's amazing to me that the dishwasher appears to be waterproof but not antproof. Luckily, the invasion only lasted a few days and is now mostly over. We're now back to baseline numbers of ants - just a few scouting ants here and there. I guess ants all year is one drawback of non-freezing temperatures. Ants in the dishwasher

No comments: