The move and the new house!
(Still some unpacking to do in these pictures. And the kitchen may look small, but it is at least twice the size of my Stanford kitchen!)
We got through the move. Whew. And as I earlier suspected, it did go much better this time. The movers came right on time and moved our stuff in one day. Yea! And nothing stolen, yea!
It was exciting to move into our new house. First of all, it is so nice to be out of the apartment (though apartment life does have some perks) and be living on a quiet street. And I really like the hardwood floors and having my own washer and dryer. It's actually quite a project to lug a toddler AND your laundry back and forth between different buildings.
We gave away our sofa, chair, TV, stereo and some other furniture when we left Stanford because it had gotten old, stained or in the case of the TV, we just thought we wanted something new! However, when we got here, Dave started thinking that maybe there was so much to do outside here that maybe we shouldn't replace the tv. Plus it was nice not having Tommy yell "spongebob? tv?" all day long. So, I had some serious doubts about this but thought we could try it. I actually haven't missed the TV at all...yet. Dave, however, I think has really been missing the Tour. (That is, the Tour de France, though I'm sure everyone who actually reads this blog is keenly aware of Dave's love of the Tour.) He found some websites where there are mini clips and interviews of the tour and spent many hours on Saturday focused on a 3 inch box on the computer where he could watch all this. Finally I said, "Dave, if you're just going to watch this all day, let's just get a TV." Anyway this story was too verbose but the bottom line is we're getting a new TV tomorrow. (So don't worry visitors - you can still watch TV...)
The first week we were here we spent a lot of time looking for furniture. I didn't realize I was so picky about furniture until I started shopping for it. It really bothers me how deep all the sofas are right now. It's like they are built for 7 foot tall people or a whole layer of pillows in the back which I can only imagine Tommy would continuously toss to the floor all day long. Anyway, we did finally get some new furniture, now we're just waiting for it to actually be delivered to the house. In the meantime, Tommy and I have spent a lot of time sitting on the floor pushing around his trucks. I think he'll be sad to see furniture take up his great playing space.
We also celebrated our first fourth of July in our new home. We went to the Monterey City Parade which was fun, (Tommy's favorite was the man on the stilts.) After the parade they have a whole day extravaganza with live music and booths in front of the City Hall. We stayed for some and then took Tommy home for his nap. We were going to try to go watch the fireworks over the bay in the evening, but thick fog rolled in and we decided the fireworks might not be good enough in those conditions to warrant keeping Tommy up late.
That first week, we also went on some walks and enjoyed the beach. Tommy LOVES the beach. He likes to run right in up to his thighs in what I think is quite cold water. He just laughs and laughs at the waves.
The second week after we moved, we went to Glacier National Park. I will post separately on that another day.
5 comments:
aaahhhhhhhh!!!!! LOVE it!!! it looks so great! sounds almost more than perfect for you guys! good try with no t.v.- i'm impressed it lasted as long as it did. love the pics...love the stories...can't wait to hear more! congrats!
good to see you guys didn't get burned up in the fires!
great place! It looks great. I am curious about the picture on the iMac in the living room shot -- is that Dave's latest dream car?
Congrats on finishing the move! great pictures. We can't wait to come visit.
Troy, I'm a little sad you didn't recognize that car on the computer screen... hint: the photo was taken in our Turtle Creek Apartment parking lot. I believe you actually helped Dave tow that car to the shop when it finally died.
I'm excited for you, your new home, town, furniture...good stuff. I hope we get to come for a visit (now that I know you have a t.v. it will totally be worth the drive...)
Post a Comment