Thursday, June 25, 2009

Gizdich Ranch

Josh humors me and lets me photograph this great big smile

We have had a fun weekend. On Friday, our friends Lauren, Rob and Floyd visited the area and the boys and I went with them to the aquarium and to lunch. Recalling that orange was Lauren's favorite color many years ago when Dave and I went skiing with her all the time, I dressed Tommy in an orange shirt. I laughed pretty hard when I saw her own son, Floyd, dressed identically!! They looked like two little blond siblings at the aquarium when they would sit still long enough to be near each other.

Saturday morning, Dave and I took Tommy and Josh to Gizdich Ranch, a farm up in Watsonville, about 30 minutes away, to pick berries. Their farm is open all year round to pick whatever is in season. I have never picked berries before and thought it was pretty fun! We started out with strawberries, and then moved on to the olallieberries, a berry I had never heard of before about a month ago. It is a cross between blackberries, raspberries and dewberries (whatever that is.) Picking berries is fun and kind of addictive as you search for the ripest, sweetest looking berries. Dave commented that he felt it was meeting some basic human need to gather one's food. But there is a problem with berry picking: that you end up picking way more than you can eat. So, Sunday I made two strawberry pies and we invited a few friends over from the Emergency and Pathology departments to help us eat them.

Today I am working on the blog while a furnace guy works on the heater. I didn't totally notice this morning but it was quite chilly in the house and Josh got up about 5:30 and didn't seem to want to sleep anymore - just kept crying (I guess he was cold.) Then when Dave woke up he said, "wow it's super cold in here" and we realized we hadn't heard our furnace going at all in the night. Tommy has a space heater in his room so he was fine. But, when things break, it does make me happy that we are only renting this place!

Floyd and Tommy at the aquarium

Olallieberries (riper when black)

Picking strawberries

Tommy happily shows off his great find

Dave and Tommy look for hiding strawberries under the leaves

3 comments:

Bella said...

what a fun weekend! that pic of floyd and tommy is awesome! i miss your strawberry pie....it was soooooo good!

ghd3 said...

great pictures! we love berry picking, though we haven't done much this year (other than the few strawberries in our yard). sounds like a fun weekend. hope Dave had a great birthday. We're excited to see you all soon. And good luck with the furnace!

Rachel said...

I agree with Dave about the gathering you own food thing. And oh how I wish I was your neighbor to get invited over for fresh strawberry pie...mmmmmm....