Sunday, December 31, 2006
Let it snow! (Except if you're trying to get home...)
Yes, we got snow - and I got stranded! I was in SLC for a few days for my Grandmother Ostler's funeral . Dave called me Friday morning as Tommy and I were getting on a plane for Albuquerque and told me it was snowing pretty hard. But the plane still took off .... and then got diverted to Midland, TX where Tommy and I spent the night. Midland's airport has only 5 gates, though they call themselved the "Midland International Airport." I spent about 4 hours on the phone trying to get out of Midland. Someone finally cancelled their flight and we felt lucky to get to El Paso yesterday which was supposed to connect to Albuquerque - but that flight was cancelled because it was still snowing hard. So I spent the day in the El Paso airport. I started running out of diapers and wipes - I was tearing the wipes into fourths and of course Tommy had 3 huge poopy diapers while in the airport! Southwest took pity on me and sent me back to SLC last night via Phoenix so I could restock on diapers and stay with family until I could get to albuquerque - but they told me I probably wouldn't get home until Jan 2. So we stayed in SLC for the night. Dave kept checking the internet and someone cancelled their ticket so I was able to fly home today. Whew! Of course, then I had to get from the airport to my house with all the major streets and freeway blocked off so that's a whole other story but I am home now! And it only took us 3 days and 5 airplane flights. Tommy was SO good, though it was really not very fun. I did miss one shift at work - someone was nice enough to cover for me. Dave snowboarded down the hill in our backyard among the cacti - what a strange thing! We got about 16 inches at our house. We have a ton of photos which we will post soon....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think you win for worst travel day(s) ever. It sounds like Tommy was a champ -- I'm glad you survived. We had some good storms up here in Seattle, as I'm sure you heard, but at least we weren't stuck in an airport.
We were sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing -- and hope you guys had a nice Christmas/New Year's celebration.
I think you win for worst travel day(s) ever. It sounds like Tommy was a champ -- I'm glad you survived. We had some good storms up here in Seattle, as I'm sure you heard, but at least we weren't stuck in an airport.
We were sorry to hear about your grandmother's passing -- and hope you guys had a nice Christmas/New Year's celebration.
Post a Comment